Men and women of all ages are usually looking for dating advice and tips that can help them create a great first date experience. In the modern world where women can ask out men and nobody exactly knows who should foot the bill, many are curious if the old dating rules from the early 1900s still apply. Many dating experts say that dating in today’s era is not as rigid as before. Having said that, how are singles today supposed to act and behave in the dating scene? If you’re on the lookout for dating tips and advice that can help you make the perfect first impression, below are some good ideas to get you started.
A Few Days before the Date:
- Have a plan. Before going out on a date, be sure to answer the following questions: Where are you planning to go? How much can you afford? How are you going to get to your dating venue? How should you and your date be dressed?
- Get in touch with your date. Make sure that your date knows the time you’re picking her/him up and where you’re going (for attire purposes). Let them know your plan so they can make all the necessary preparations as well.
On the Day Itself:
- Observe proper grooming and attire. On the day of your date, be sure to take a bath and brush your teeth. Dress appropriately and stylishly without compromising comfort. When deciding on what to wear, think of these two words: simplicity and elegance.
- Be on time. If you don’t want to leave a bad impression, make sure that you are not late during your date.
During the Date:
- Even if you’re punctual and all dressed up, if you don’t observe proper manners and social skills during your date, things are not likely to go well for you. First, remember how important it is to give your full attention to your date. Turn off your mobile phone (or at least put it on silent mode) and refrain from looking at other people in your surroundings. If you find your date beautiful, tell them. Nevertheless, be sincere when you do so. In addition, if you want to be a little funny to break the ice, make sure that you and your date are on the same page. Do not make fun of other people for the sake of humor. Banter is fine, as long as you don’t ridicule others.
- If you’re an adult, it’s okay to have a glass of wine or a bottle of beer. However, don’t get drunk if you don’t want to mess up your date.
- When it comes to the question of “Who pays the bill?” there are no cut-and-dried rules. With that said, it is a good idea to be simply gracious about money. First, offer to pay the bill in full. If your date declines, offer to pay half of it. If your date still refuses, offer to chip in in some way. It can be anything from paying the tip, buying a cup of coffee after dinner, or saying you’ll cover the cost of the next date. The objective is not to look like a sponge.
- Certainly, you can get a hundred other dating advice and tips from friends, family, and relationship experts. Perhaps the most important tip you can get has something to do with give and take in conversation. Remember, the secret to a successful first date is good conversation. Although you can’t expect the two of you to be very comfortable on your first date, there are ways to get beyond the initial awkward stage. First, try not to monopolize the conversation. But then again, don’t be like an inanimate plant and let your date do all the talking. Be an active participant and avoid being boring by answering questions with only “yes” or “no.”
These are just some of the most crucial dating advice and tips that singles need to remember. Start practicing the basics of dating first, and you’re on your way to having a second date.