For many men in their 40s and beyond, finding a new lease of “love life” feels very much like going back to their teenage years. Most feel uncomfortable and almost clueless. Many mature men ask, “Where do you start when it feels as though you’ve been out of the dating arena so long that you can’t remember the rules?” Because many mature men find it awkward to date again, many are on the lookout for tips and dating advice for men over 40 that can help them venture successfully into the dating jungle once again.
Obviously, you can explore plenty of dating tips online. However, most of these guides are geared towards helping the younger generations. If you’re 40 and single and looking for the best bits and pieces of dating advice for men over 40, you’ve come to the right place. Before you wade into the tricky world of mature dating, it pays to go back to the basics and add a little twist.
• Look your absolute best. Be sure to wear decent clothes and shoes on the day of the date. Women, in general, are very particular when it comes to clothing, style, and hygiene. Get clothes that fit you and suit your age. Go to the salon and have your hair styled, even if you don't have much hair. Don’t forget to shave and use a good quality perfume. Women, regardless of age, appreciate it.
• Mature women want a man who has ambition in life. In general, an unstable job is not going to get you a real catch. But then again, any job is better than not having one at all. Nevertheless, it’s very important that you sort out some direction in your life. As much as possible, you should try to have a stable career. Be sure to have plans for the future because women typically ask questions about a man’s prospects.
• Be knowledgeable. Watch the latest news and read good publications (newspapers, magazines, etc.) so you can be up to date with current affairs. Intelligent women can’t stand stupidity so try not to sound dumb and uninformed. Being knowledgeable of current affairs is important in showing that you are aware of what’s happening around. If you love traveling, then this will help a lot. If you don't, you can make plans to travel and tell the woman you’re dating about it. Proving that you are willing and able to plan getaway trips is an indication that you are a mature, financially capable man.
• If, even at your 40s, you still spend much of your time going out and boozing with the boys, then it's time to have a step back and grab more productive habits. This lifestyle will never win a woman’s heart. Taking your date for a drink is okay, especially if it’s just cocktails at a nice lounge. Don’t give them the impression that you live there if you don’t want to lose all your chances with her.
• If you love sports and enjoy watching games with your friends, that’s totally fine. However, if baseball, for example, is a major priority, you may encounter issues along the way. Plenty of women see sports obsession as a complete lack of thought and inspiration. Although many women love sports too, remember not to make your passion a one-sided affair.
• Women want to be treated with respect, so forget the harsh language, the rudeness, and the lack of manners. Know how to eat in first-class restaurants. Do the basics – open the door for her, let her go first, and help her with her seat.
• Women love a good conversation. Having said that, keep your date interested but don't do all the talking. Remember, women want to talk about themselves, too. Listen to the things she tells you but more importantly, remember them. Remembering the things she told you will impress her even more.
These pieces of dating advice for men over 40 are very much like the traditional dating rules you may have already learned as a young teenage boy. There is nothing drastic that needs to be changed really, because women of all ages generally want the same things in a man.