There are some unwritten dating ‘rules’ that everyone should follow… which will make everyone, male and female, much more comfortable and content with a date.
- There is the obvious first impression. Try to look your best and be punctual. No one wants to date an irresponsible slob. Poor dress shows laziness and will do nothing to promote you. Also, try to be fresh and smell good. You should be shaven, bathed and smell good. It will cost you nothing more than a bottle of quality cologne and some shower gel. Just make sure not to over-do it with the cologne!
- Be sure to flatter and compliment your date on the way they look and the things they wear. People tend to put in a lot of effort for a date, so being told that they look nice is always good to hear.
- Have fun when dating. Be interested and interesting. Make sure to tell someone if you are not interested in dating them again. Being lied to and hopes kept alive is an evil and malicious act. If you don’t want to see them again, let them know that in the nicest possible way you can.
- Eye contact is crucial when dating, so it is good etiquette to provide as much attention as possible to your date. They should feel as if they are the only person in the room. Be a listener and do not talk your date to death, particularly if you are male. Listening shows interest and the ability to compromise. If your idea of a date is talking about yourself and your opinions all night then do your date a favor and stay at home alone.
- Be courteous and complimentary. Your date has made an effort for you and your personal opinions aren’t quite welcome at this stage.
- Try to avoid being opinionated or arrogant and try to avoid discussions about politics and religion on the first date. Additionally, don’t be rude to others on a date. You are trying to show your good side, so arguing about a service charge or whether the wine is chilled enough will make you look like a fool. And remember…arguing with the waiter is a big no-no.