Sure, there are plenty of first dating advice and tips for singles out there. Unfortunately, the importance of good conversation is usually overlooked. Understanding the importance of conversation on a first date is crucial for its success. When you are an incredibly dull person to talk to, you will also lead a terrifically boring love life, as no one would want to hang out with you again. Potential partners will refuse to have dinner with you for the second time around and the highlight of your day will be what you had for your morning meal.
If the thought of first dates and improving your communication skills make you gag, remember that you don’t have to be a chatterbox to capture people’s heart. It is purely natural to run out of words to say or come up with topics to talk about during a first date. But, you don’t have to permanently get stuck for things to discuss the entire night because there are ways to get past the uncomfortable feelings when meeting people for the first time. If you’re looking for first dating advice and tips that can help you enhance your first date conversation and increase your chances for a second date, below are some ideas to consider.
- If you find yourself and your date stuck for words to say, use that “speechless” moment to get started. Sure it’s very awkward to be dumbfounded, but you can start talking about that awkwardness to break the ice. A few minutes later, you’ll find yourself more relaxed and you’ll even be surprised at how fun it is to talk about how nervous the both of you are about personally seeing each other for the first time.
- Overcoming the initial awkwardness is definitely just the start of the first date experience. If you are not really a talker, then just mention whatever comes to your mind at the outset. Talk about the weather, the latest news in politics, your dog, or the food on the table. These may not be the most exciting things to talk about but they can spark something more interesting as you go along.
- First date conversation should be a give-and-take process. Do not let your date do all the talking, but do not be a passive talker either. Participate in the conversation, but do not monopolize it. Nothing is more unexciting than dating someone who talks incessantly or who remains silent indefinitely.
- Don’t force your date into talking about something that he or she doesn’t want to discuss. While there are topics that you may be comfortable talking about, your date may not be as at ease discussing the same subjects with you. Respect your date’s privacy by not insisting on topics that he or she is not pleased to discuss. Simply drop the subject and move on.
- Never mention your ex during your first date. Talking about your ex is unnecessary and somewhat impolite. No person really wants learn about your ex and listen to all the stories that you have written in your diary while you were still together. Ex tales just make a person feel compared to people that should not matter to you anymore in the first place.
What you talk about on the first date can make or break your dating experience. Although first dates don’t always start out comfortable, there are ways to overcome the awkward silences and eventually create a smooth flow of friendly, relaxed conversation.
Mentioned above are just a few first dating advice and tips for singles that are looking for tips on how to communicate on first dates effectively. Although physical looks matter a lot, remember that good, fun conversation is the foundation of a great first date.